For admission to B.Des programs at NIFT, candidates shortlisted from the written entrance examination(Phase 1) are required to take a Situation Test. Evaluation is based on space visualization, innovative and creative use of given material, the composition of elements, color scheme, construction skill, the finesse of the model and overall presentation, etc. These parameters along with the write up explaining the concept of the model constructed are also important.
The language of the write up has to be English. Use of outside/additional material in making the model/design is not permitted.
Basic tips to increase skills for the test:
- Observe all the things around you, like leaves, tables, chairs, cars, human faces, car models, bottle design, trophies, household items, clothes, etc and try to take inspiration from them.
- Try to understand the purpose of a particular object, color combination of the final product. Analyze why and how are the used colors might be suitable for that particular product.
- Try to think of a topic and what models can be made depicting the mood, look and feel for that topic. Accordingly, develop an idea for the given question. Think of a concept- Always draw thumbnail sketches i.e. options of how the model can be made/ what can be made/ how interesting can it be made.
- Try working with different materials. Post sketching the final option, assign the materials with arrows in the sketch. Think what material can be used for depicting the concept? Try using one material with another, try permutations and combinations for the same.
At IID, we focus on experimenting with various materials. Professionals help and review the models, materials used, write-ups to help students excel.
- Preferably one should always Choose and work on the theme: Try to understand and grasp the form and shapes around and how it can be transformed into an object.
- Write down keywords that depict mood: The first thing to do would be to determine your keywords depicting the mood, for eg. warm, jovial, tender, enthusiastic, peppy, graceful, etc. Note down the elements- note down the words/ phrases that come to your mind upon finalization of a theme.
- Suitably finalize a color scheme: Decide a colour scheme which would be most apt for the topic.
- Write –up – Write up is also equally important as it explains the concept and description of the model. Use appropriate words/ phrases which explain the model. The reader should be able to understand the concept/ ideology behind the model.
- Neatness of the workstation is also an important criteria:- Only good models or write-ups do not guarantee a good score. How a student organizes his/ her desk, how the unused or half used materials have been kept/ proper disposal of unwanted and scrap papers etc is also observed. Since design is not only how it looks, it is also about how the model stands/ what concept/ message does it send across is also important. Thus if one has to stand out boldly in Situation test, one must be a good observer of things.
- Read/ solve previous year question papers for Situation tests. Practice the same question with various materials.
IID will help you understand situation tests better with the in house model making skills. A program where each and every student is trained to handle materials, textures and create models suitable for their field of choice.
For more details visit our Website or call on 8888971719